The origins of the Doerner Institut go back as far as the 19 th century. Walter Gräff’s plans for an Analysis and Research Institute for Paintings and Other Works of the Fine Arts (Untersuchungs- und Forschungsanstalt für Gemälde und andere Werke der Bildenden Kunst) of 1932 outline the main features of today’s institute. Max Doerner, a landscape painter and professor at the Academy of Visual Arts in Munich, then founded the institute in 1937. The original objective - of dealing with the painting techniques of the Old Masters and of reconstructing them in practical experiments - lost its importance against the backdrop of World War II. In 1946, the institute was affiliated to the Bavarian State Painting Collections (Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen). Amalgamated with their conservation studios in 1977, the Doerner Institut soon achieved world-class status under the leadership of Christian Wolters, Hubertus Falkner von Sonnenburg, and Bruno Heimberg. The institute was headed by Andreas Burmester between 2003 and 2017. Since October 2017 Andrea Funck is its new director. Currently it has a staff of 50 to 60.