Possibly on the basis of Gräff’s memorandum, the Reichsinstitut für Maltechnik (Doerner Institut) was founded in 1937 as a National Analysis and Research Institute for Colour Technology with the departments of physical chemistry, painting techniques and art history. It was housed at Leopoldstraße 3, which is immediately adjacent to the Academy of Fine Arts. It came under the direct supervision of the Reichskammer der bildenden Künste. Its first director was the painter Max Doerner, who had been appointed to the Academy in 1911 as a teacher of painting techniques and whose book The Materials of the Artist and Their Use in Painting had already appeared in its 6 th edition by 1938. The war severely limited all activity at the Institut from 1944 onwards. To date, intense research about the history of the institute during the so-called Third Reich is ongoing.